Pegasus Research Consortium
The UFO Files

OzWeatherman's Collection
Member of
(Edited and Additions by Pegasus)

From  Thread:

Frederick Valentich's Plane Vanishes
Melbourne Australia October 28th, 1978

Originally posted by OzWeatherman 7-11-2008 @ 08:21 AM

The Story

Frederick Valentich was a 20 year old pilot, was flying to King Island (off the northwest coast of Tasmania) across Bass Strait, from Moorabin Airport in Melbourne. During the flight Valentich reported to air traffic controller Steve Robey, that he was in contact with an unidentified aircraft that was flying dangerously close to and hovering above his Cessna 182 aircraft.

Frederick Valentich

The most startling thing about this case, is the fact that Valentich was in radio contact with ATC contollers at the time of his encounter. Another massive point to consider, is that more than fifty seperate observations of UFO activity in the area were reported in the weeks leading up to and preceding Valentich's dissapearance. Even more startling is that 4 witnesses actually observed an object sitting on top of a light aircraft on the area where Valentich was flying. Will get to that later, but the following is the actual transcript between Valentich and air traffic contoller Steve Robey (back in Melbourne)

The Actual Transcript

19:06:14 DSJ Melbourne, this is Delta Sierra Juliet. Is there any known traffic below five thousand? 

FS Delta Sierra Juliet, no known traffic. 

DSJ Delta Sierra Juliet, I am, seems to be a large aircraft below five thousand. 

19:06:44 FS Delta Sierra Juliet, What type of aircraft is it? 

DSJ Delta Sierra Juliet, I cannot affirm, it is four bright, and it seems to me like landing lights. 

19:07 FS Delta Sierra Juliet. 

19:07:31 DSJ Melbourne, this is Delta Sierra Juliet, the aircraft has just passed over me at least a thousand feet above. 

FS Delta Sierra Juliet, roger, and it is a large aircraft, confirmed? 

DSJ Er-unknown, due to the speed it's traveling, is there any air force aircraft in the vicinity? 

FS Delta Sierra Juliet, no known aircraft in the vicinity. 

19:08:18 DSJ Melbourne, it's approaching now from due east towards me. 

FS Delta Sierra Juliet. 

19:08:41 DSJ (open microphone for two seconds.) 

19:08:48 DSJ Delta Sierra Juliet, it seems to me that he's playing some sort of game, he's flying over me two, three times at speeds I could not identify. 

19:09 FS Delta Sierra Juliet, roger, what is your actual level? 

DSJ My level is four and a half thousand, four five zero zero. 

FS Delta Sierra Juliet and you confirm you cannot identify the aircraft? 

DSJ Affirmative. 

FS Delta Sierra Juliet, roger, stand by. 

19:09:27 DSJ Melbourne, Delta Sierra Juliet, it's not an aircraft it is (open microphone for two seconds). 

19:09:42 FS Delta Sierra Juliet, can you describe the -ER- aircraft? 

DSJ Delta Sierra Juliet, as it's flying past it's a long shape (open microphone for three seconds) cannot identify more than it has such speed (open microphone for three seconds). It's before me right now Melbourne. 

19:10 FS Delta Sierra Juliet, roger and how large would the - er - object be? 

19:10:19 DSJ Delta Sierra Juliet, Melbourne, it seems like it's stationary. What I'm doing right now is orbiting and the thing is just orbiting on top of me also. It's got a green light and sort of metallic like, it's all shiny on the outside. 

FS Delta Sierra Juliet 

19:10:46 DSJ Delta Sierra Juliet (open microphone for three seconds) It's just vanished. 

FS Delta Sierra Juliet 

19:11 DSJ Melbourne, would you know what kind of aircraft I've got? Is it a military aircraft? 

FS Delta Sierra Juliet, Confirm the - er ~ aircraft just vanished. 

DSJ Say again. 

FS Delta Sierra Juliet, is the aircraft still with you? 

DSJ Delta Sierra Juliet; it's (open microphone for two seconds) now approaching from the south-west. 

FS Delta Sierra Juliet 

19:11:50 DSJ Delta Sierra Juliet, the engine is rough-idling. I've got it set at twenty three twenty-four and the thing is coughing. 

FS Delta Sierra Juliet, roger, what are your intentions? 

DSJ My intentions are - ah - to go to King Island - ah - Melbourne. That strange aircraft is hovering on top of me again (open microphone for two seconds). It is hovering and it's not an aircraft. 

FS Delta Sierra Juliet. 

19:12:28 DSJ Delta Sierra Juliet. Melbourne (open microphone for seventeen seconds). 

(An unexplained sound abruptly terminated the voice communications.)

After the dissapearance, a search of the area revealed no wreckage. Frederick Valentich had literally dissapeared.

Over the next few weeks several witnesses stepped forward with startling evidence

Some of the ground based observations

  • Twin Cigar shaped objects were witnessed moving West to East over Victoria, changing from silver to white. Several witnesses observed this until they dissapeared behind the Cape Otway hills
  • One witness actually photographed an object shooting up out of the water at tremendous speed, near Cape Otway lighthouse. This event occured only 21 minutes before Valentich first reported the object.
  • Witnesses in Franskton, a south east Melbourne suburb, reported seeing a large cigar shaped object hovering in their area
  • Two seperate sets of witnesses (a couple and two teenagers) reported seeing green lights in a star-fish shaped object. The couple actually witnessed the object moving over Bass Strait in the direction of where Valentich was flying.
The most startling report
One of the best indications from observers that a UFO was involved in Frederick’s experience came a few years after the event when four witnesses came forward to report sighting both the aircraft and the UFO flying directly above the Cessna. They had hesitated reporting outside their immediate friends because of fear of ridicule. They came forward when they did because the information bore on their conscience.

An uncle, his son and two nieces were rabbit hunting at Cape Otway. A niece looked up and saw the green light and called to her uncle, "What is that light?" The uncle looked up and answered, "An aeroplane light". The niece then said, "No, the light above the aeroplane". Frederick was the only pilot flying in the area at that time. Sight of the aeroplane and object was lost when they flew behind the hills. This sighting completely rules out all speculations and fictitious stories - other than that a UFO was involved in the pilot’s disappearance.[/ex]

Some points to ponder
  • No wreckage was ever found
  • The Australian Airforce recieved eleven reports on the night in question
  • Many of the witnessed observed similar, if not the same things 
  • Valentich apparently acted out of character before the event. he allegedly didn't supply a flight plan for this flight
  • Several Sightings of UFO's were reported before the incident
  • The original recording of the conversation between Valentich and ATC mysteriously dissapeared
  • There is an abundance (I mean abundance) of eye witness accounts on the event
So what happened in in the sky above Bass Strait and the Melbourne areas on that day and the previous days leading up to the incident?

Perhaps Valentich got disorientated and crashed in a different area to the one thought, or maybe we have the first recording/ witness of an alien abduction.

Well the evidence is certainly compelling, but I leave you to decide. I am interested in anyones alternative theories to the abduction one too

Here's some links for those interested in wanting to learn more

Extra Links: See Below

The Frederick Valentich Accident
Frederick ValentichGuido Valentich Holding his son Photo

The account of the Australian pilot Frederick Valentich, a twenty-year-old pilot with a Class Four instrument rating is possibly the most famous of Australian UFO encounters, and an almost unique event of a disappearance of an aircraft and its pilot most likely a consequence of the contact between the aircraft and a UFO.

The young pilot and his Cessna disappeared over Bass Strait, off south-eastern Australia in 1978, while he headed to King Island, between the Australian mainland and Tasmania.

He told over the radio to air traffic controllers in Melbourne that he was being buzzed by a UFO with 4 bright lights about 1000 feet above him. He continued to comment about the objects characteristics before all contact was lost.

During that time, twenty people located in different areas around Bass Strait observed a green light in the same direction and at the same time the pilot was reporting the approach and description of an object with a green light. In addition, other reports have been forthcoming, such as a mother and four teenagers in the southern suburb of Frankston, reported what appeared to resemble a skyrocket, although the object was stationary, a report from Ormond, a suburb in southern Melbourne, occurring at 07:15pm when lights were noted in a cigar shaped arrangement and two lads were out in the street communicating with their walkie-talkies when they saw a star-shaped object appear at a low altitude over their heads.

On October 11, 2000, Melbourne's Herald-Sun reported that fresh light had been shed on the case of the Victorian pilot. An Apollo Bay man, (the area near where the pilot experienced problems) said that he, his son and two nieces observed Valentich's Cessna and a green light hovering above it as they hunted rabbits in Cape Otway. The man had not come forward previously for fear of ridicule. He placed the aircraft as going down off Cape Marengo just south east of Apollo Bay, between five to fifteen kilometers offshore. This was a considerable distance from the original search area.

A niece looked up and saw the green light and called to her uncle, "What is that light?" The uncle looked up and answered, "An airplane light". The niece then said, "No, the light above the airplane". Frederick was the only pilot flying in the area at that time. Sight of the airplane and object was lost when they flew behind the hills.

No trace of Valentich or his aircraft have been recovered, despite many attempts, including a hoaxed "find." The Cessna was equipped with a radio survival beacon, but no signal from it was ever detected.

The original recording of Valentich’s fight was mysteriously erased. No official conclusion has been given for the strange sound, which was heard that interrupted the last statement of the pilot. The sound was what could be called a scraping of metal against metal. Steve Robey, the flight traffic controller asked him repeatedly what was the scraping sound heard. Also deleted from the tape were his last few words where Valentich decried flames from the end of the cylinder shaped object as it passed over him. His plane then being engulfed in a strange green light and a feeling of burning that followed when his transmission ended.

There had been many UFO sightings in the Brass Strait area and also the Tasman Sea and New Zealand, to the east. These sightings culminated in objects being filmed by two news crews in December 1978 and January 1979. Bass Strait is also a noted area for the disappearance of many ships and aircraft as well as UFO reports. Interestingly, Frederick Valentich attended for a special course relating to UFO's at Sale Air Base in south eastern Victoria. So concerned was he about what he had seen and been told at Sale that Valentich emotionally told his parents shortly afterwards that "should they take me I should be O.K. so don't worry, they will probably put me back."

Estimated Flight path

20 years later, on the afternoon of October 21, 1998 a plaque was placed in the grounds of the Cape Otway light station near the Weather Station by Valentich's family and friends.



  • "The Worlds Greatest UFO mysteries", book by Roger Boar and Nigel Blundell.
  • "Above Top Secret", book by Timothy Good.
  • "The UFO Coverup", book by Lawrence Fawcett and Barry J. Greenwood.
  • "UFOs & How to See Them", book by Jenny Randles.
  • Richard F. Haines, Melbourne Episode: Case Study of a Missing Pilot, 1987. 
Related Links: Related Incidences:

Date: October 25, 1978.

Boats and aircraft have found no trace of the 20-year old Australian pilot who disappeared with his plane on Saturday night after radioing that he was being chased by a UFO. Frederick Valentich was on a 125 mile training flight in his single engine Cessna 182 along the coast of Bass Strait when he told air traffic controllers in Melbourne that he was being buzzed by a UFO with 4 bright lights about 1000 feet above him.

Controllers said his last message was taped and was: "It's approaching from due east towards me. It seems to be playing some sort of game... flying at a speed I can't estimate. It's not an aircraft. It's...It is flying past. It is a long shape. I cannot identify more than that. It's coming for me right now." A minute later: "It seems to be stationary. I'm also orbiting and the thing is orbiting on top of me also. It has a green light and a sort of metallic light on the outside." Valentich then radioed that his engine was running roughly. His last words were: "It is not an aircraft."

The Australian Air Force said it had received 11 reports from people along the coast who said they saw UFOs on Saturday night, but the Transport Department was skeptical. Ken Williams, a spokesman for the department, said, "It's funny all these people ringing up with UFO reports well after Valentich's disappearance. It seems people often decide after the event, they too had seen strange lights. But although we can't take them too seriously, we can never discourage such reports when investigating a plane's disappearance."

Some Transport Dept officials have speculated that Valentich became disoriented and saw his own lights reflected in the water, or lights from a nearby island, while flying upside down.

Valentich's father, Guio, said his son used to study UFOs "as a hobby using information he had received from the Air Force. He was not the kind of person who would make up stories. Everything had to be very correct and positive for him. The fact that they have found no trace of him really verifies the fact that UFOs could have been there." Guio Valentich said he hoped his son had not crashed but has been taken by a UFO.


Here is the aircraft accident summary report by the Australian aviation authorities.

Report Source 01
Report Source 02 - Complete three pages showing source of transcript
Unsolved Mysteries 2- UFOs And Aliens
Google Video Link
Unsolved Mysteries TV show. 

This episode deals with The disappearance of this young Australian pilot and his plane. Fredrick Velantich 20 years old disappeared from RADAR screen and the earth with his Cessna single-engine plane,down in Australia back in 1978. No one knows to this day what has happened to the young man?! (I still feel terrible for his father/parents).

2nd part 12:02 deasls with the subject of Missing Time and Alien Abduction. They examine many cases such as the case of Robert (Bob) Matthews (1966) and many others like Kristina Florence (at 22:35) both of whom I believe are telling the truth. Also Budd Hopkins, the famous author is interviewed in here as well. 

Part 3 (Socorro Encounter) at 34:34 is about a very famous UFO sighting by a credible witness (Lonnie Zamora) A police officer on duty. He actually saw "figures" coming out of the spcae craft and walking about. Then the craft took off and disappeared in the skies. They also interviewed (the brave) Capt. Richard T Holder of the White Sand AFB who initiated the investigation into this matter back in 1964. 

Part 4 at 47:35 (Kecksburg UFO),1965's famous Pensylvania sighting by the people of Kechspurg PA. The people of this town have kept the model of UFO (Acorn shape)built by UM (same one used in this TV episode) and have set it up on a tower as a reminder of government's coverups in UFO matters. I believe it is still there to this day! 

Part 5, 1:08:13 (Texas UFO) about these 2 ladies (Betty Cash and her friend) and a boy who witnessed an UFO over the road they were traveling in near Houston Tx. and later became very ill by the radiations poisoning they received from that craft. AirForce and the govt. have turn the cold shoulder to them which is very disgraceful! This happened in 1980. UFON Has reopened this case in recent years so look it up on Google 

Part6; 1:23:37 Face On Mars. There are strange artifacts on planet Mars which NASA and opther govt. agencies prevent the people from getting the info.? The face on Mars has many intricit details which make it almost impossible to say that this was act of "nature". (I have also discovered some writings in different language below and around the "Head")?! Coincident? Judge for yourself

Frederick Valentich (Australian UFO case-1978) 
Youtube Link
The Valentich Mystery 
A plaque commemorating the death of Valentich. "A plaque was placed in the grounds of the
Cape Otway light station near the Weather Station by Valentich's family and friends."

The Valentich Mystery 
Source: Bill Chalker

25 years ago on this day Frederick Valentich disappeared over Bass Strait in very strange circumstances. It is a mystery that still has not been explained.

It was the extraordinary disappearance of pilot Frederick Valentich (left) over Bass Strait on October 21st, 1978, that thrust the subject of UFOs into the news headlines around the world. The Valentich mystery has endured as an insoluble enigma. The crux of the mystery is just what happened to the young pilot and his 182 Cessna light aircraft - VH - DSJ (Delta Sierra Juliet) - during that October evening. The circumstances behind the total disappearance of both pilot and plane have since been elevated into one of the premier mysteries of aviation and for many one of the most intriguing elements of the UFO phenomenon.

The fact that the mystery has lasted so long is a direct result of the incredible aspects at the heart of the affair. Twenty year-old Frederick Valentich, 47 minutes into what should have been a routine 69 minute flight from Moorabin, Victoria, to King Island, reported in a radio conversation with Melbourne Flight Service Unit controller, Steve Robey, of seeing an unidentified "aircraft" near him.

The only official report to emerge on the affair was an Aircraft Accident Investigation Summary Report, reference No. V116/783/1047. The basic relevant events and transcript of the conversation between Valentich and Robey - a "radio encounter of a weird kind" - included in the report are given here:

The pilot obtained a class Four instrument rating on 11 May 1978 and he was therefore authorised to operate at night in visual meteorological conditions (VMC). On the afternoon of 21 October 1978 he attended the Moorabbin Briefing Office, obtained a meteorological briefing and, at 1723 hours, submitted a flight plan for a night VMC flight from Moorabbin to King Island and return. The cruising altitude nominated in the flight plan was below 5000 feet, with estimated time intervals of 41 minutes to Cape Otway and 28 minutes from Cape Otway to King Island. The total fuel endurance was shown at 300 minutes. The pilot made no arrangements for aerodrome lighting to be illuminated for his arrival at King Island. He advised the briefing officer and the operator's representative that he was uplifting friends at King Island and took four life jackets in the aircraft with him.

The aircraft was refuelled to capacity at 1810 hours and departed Moorabbin at 1819 hours. After departure the pilot established two-way radio communication with Melbourne Flight Service Unit (FSU).

Valentich reported in this transmission that "a large aircraft" appeared below him, then apparently passed over his aircraft. He felt it was an "unknown aircraft" particularly because of its apparent speed. It approached him from the east and seemed to be "playing some sort of game", "flying over me two three times at speeds I could not identify". Frederick Valentich emphasised, "It's not an aircraft ... it's flying past, it's a long shape." Then he described, "it seems like its stationary.
What I'm doing right now is orbiting and the thing is just orbiting on top of me also it's got a green light and sort of metallic (like) it's all shiny (on) the outside." One minute later Valentich said the object was approaching his aircraft from the Southwest. Then the Cessna's engine started rough idling. Frederick Valentich's last transmission was, "...that strange aircraft is hovering on top of me again. It is hovering and it's not an aircraft." 17 seconds of open microphone followed with metallic like sounds hear, perhaps like the rapid keying of the plane's microphone, and then silence. An intensive air, sea and land search followed over the next 4 days. No trace of pilot or plane was ever found.

The weather in the Cape Otway area was clear with a trace of stratocumulus cloud at 5000 to 7000 feet, scattered cirrus cloud at 30000 feet, excellent visibility and light winds. The end of daylight at Cape Otway was at 1918 hours.

The Alert Phase of SAR procedures was declared at 1912 hours and, at 1933 hours when the aircraft did not arrive at King Island, the Distress Phase was declared and search action was commenced. An intensive air, sea and land search was continued until 25 October 1978, but no trace of the aircraft was found.

The official report also refers to the following points:

Location of occurrence: Not known
Time: Not known
Degree of injury: presumed fatal

Opinion as to cause (of "Aircraft Accident"): The reason for the disappearance of the aircraft has not been determined

Steve Robey, the FSU or Flight Service Unit radio controller, who spoke with Valentich during those 6 minutes leading up to his disappearance, said in a Melbourne Herald interview:

"I think at first he was a little concerned about this other aircraft flying around him, and of course I had to assume that it was another aircraft until it developed and became a little mysterious. Towards the end I think he was definitely concerned for his safety; I considered that he would have had to have been a good actor to have put it all together the way he did."

The Cessna 182 took off smoothly (image)

Robey did not believe he had talked to a disorientated pilot,

"It was as though he was looking around for this thing as he was speaking on the radio ... a young fellow with little experience; it was getting dark, and visual reference to the ground is fading. In a situation like this, if this is what happened, it is understandable he is getting a little bit uptight.

"It was a kind of rushed communication ... it was as if he was startled... he was definitely concerned ... it sounded as though it was rattling him."

Apart from a very early attempt to suggest that Frederick Valentich may have been flying upside down, totally disorientated, with lighthouse lights producing his perception of an "unidentified aircraft", the Australian Department of Aviation has never officially addressed the question of what Valentich may have been observing prior to his disappearance.

I tried to extract from the Department their opinion.

At first the then Assistant Secretary (Air Safety Investigation), Mr. G.V. Hughes, advised me that he was not clear as to what was meant by my expression, "...the stimulus of Valentich's apparent UFO observation..."

"However, a great deal of consideration has been given to what Mr. Valentich might have been looking at when he described his observations. A considerable number of suggestions have been put forward by persons inside and outside this Department. All have been examined. The Department is not aware of any other official body having undertaken such an investigation into this occurrence," Mr. Hughes wrote.

The pilot reported a metallic green object (image)

However, when it came to an official investigation of a possible UFO connection, a veritable bureaucratic "Catch-22" loomed large. Mr. Hughes advised me, "As you correctly state ..., the RAAF is responsible for the investigation of reports concerning 'UFO' sightings, and liaison was established with the RAAF on these aspects of the investigation. The decision as to whether or not the 'UFO' report is to be investigated rests with the RAAF and not with this Department."

At the time I was fortunately in a position to get a clearer picture of the RAAF role in the Valentich case. I had been given unprecedented direct access to the RAAF files. During my detailed explorations of the files in a number of visits to the Department of Defence in Canberra, I did not come across any documentation on the Valentich affair. The RAAF Intelligence Liaison Officer - DAFI told me that the RAAF did not investigate the affair because they were not asked to by the Department of Aviation! The RAAF saw it as more appropriately in the domain of an "air accident/air safety" enquiry. The Intelligence officer also volunteered that his personal opinion was that pilot disorientation was involved.

In November, 1982, I was finally given official permission to examine the Department of Aviation UFO files, but was specifically denied access to the Valentich files on the grounds that they were Air Accident Investigation files and not UFO files. Mr. Hughes of Air Safety elaborated,

It started as a routine flight … (image)

"The file concerning this occurrence is no more or less restricted than any other accident investigation file. As a signatory to the International Convention on Civil Aviation, we subscribe to the Standards and Recommended Practices contained in Annex 13 to the Convention, in respect of aircraft accident investigation, specifically, when it is considered that the disclosure of records, for the purposes other than accident prevention, might have an adverse effect on the availability of information in that or any future investigation, such records are considered privileged."

While in Melbourne examining the Aviation Department's UFO files, I was able to have a lengthy discussion on the Valentich affair with Mr. A. Woodward, the signatory on the official Aircraft Accident Investigation Summary Report, dated May 27th, 1982. He largely reiterated the official department line, emphasising that they were treating the matter as only an "air accident" investigation. He dwelt on a long list of prosaic explanations ranging from diorientation, suicide, to the unlikely prospect of the plane being struck by a meteorite, but conceded that the affair was still unresolved.

Dr. Richard Haines, was a research scientist with NASA and an aircraft accident investigator, as well as an active UFO researcher, particularly in cases involving pilot witnesses. He took a particular interest in the Valentich incident. He was given access to the tape of the incident and undertook studies of it. He was not able to definitively identify the unusual sounds that appeared in the final 17 seconds of open microphone communications with Valentich. A metallic-like sound is noticeable. Dr. Haines found they were similar to the sound produced by the rapid keying of the microphone, but control testing did not confirm this absolutely. He published a book based on his study of the affair, MELBOURNE EPISODE - Case study of a missing pilot. He included 4 hypothetical accounts of what might have happened, namely "pilot disorientation/crash/death", "deliberate pilot hoax", "actual UFO in-flight abduction", and "military weapons test". While Dr. Haines seems to have favoured the final "hypothesis", in reality the evidence for it is slight and speculative.

Search boats found no trace of the plane  (image)

Many people reported seeing UFOs on the same day and during the night of Valentich's disappearance. A number of these reports are difficult to reconcile with the hysteria and publicity that escalated rapidly over the affair, elevating it to an international sensation. Some 15 or more distinct sightings survived the gauntlet of civilian group investigations. They all occurred between midday and 9 pm, on October 21st. Six occurred in Victoria, one on King Island, and the rest in New South Wales, Tasmania and South Australia. These reports seemed to confirm that something quite unusual was abroad that extraordinary day.

A witness spotted a long, green object (image)

A strange series of photos taken out over Bass Strait, by Roy Manifold, a plumber on holidays at Crayfish Bay, near Apollo Bay, only some 20 minutes before Valentich began describing his encounter, revealed something unusual. He had taken 6 photos of the setting sun. He saw nothing untoward, with the camera set to automatically take the photo series, but upon development the fourth and sixth photos revealed apparent anomalies. The fourth photo showed what looked like a dense "black lump" in the water, giving the impression of something rising from the water. The fifth photo appeared normal. The sixth shows a strange mass situated in the sky directly over the position of the anomaly in the fourth photo, which looked like an object caught in flight with a possible exhaust or trail of material. Film faults and processing defects were ruled out. The RAAF suggested a cumulus cloud breaking up, but the timing of the exposures would have required the "cloud" to have moved into view at a speed of up to 200 mph. Now that's some cloud for what was a calm day!

Roy Manifold’s 6th photograph (image)

The areas that feature prominently in the Valentich incident - Cape Otway (his last land call), Bass Strait (the apparent location of his disappearance) and King Island (his apparent destination), all have extensive precedents for UFO activity. During a two month period centred around January, 1978, holiday makers, fishermen, school teachers, local police and lighthouse keepers in the Cape Otway area reported seeing UFOs. During July, 1977, local residents and the lighthouse keeper at Cape Otway, saw an inexplicable brilliant light source, that hovered out to sea for half an hour. We have seen in our history that Bass Strait figured in UFO mysteries particularly in 1920 and 1944. The Melbourne Argus newspaper even described many people seeing "cigar-shaped" objects flying over Bass Strait as far back as 1896. King Island's 425 square miles played host to a wave of unidentified nocturnal aerial lights for at least three months prior to Frederick Valentich's disappearance. Oval shaped lights followed cars and mystified local residents. Strange lights or flares appeared off the north of the island. One of the most spectacular close encounters with a UFO in the area, occurred at a wild and uninhabited part of the King Island coast, near Whistler Point, just before dawn, on April 10th, 1976. "A beam of light" emanating from "a cross-shaped object" approached a duck-shooter's car, in a direct line. The light display eventually receded directly along its line of approach, ending a silent inspection, when it disappeared over the distant skyline.

Roy Manifold’s 6th photograph (image)

There is much that suggests a UFO connection but unfortunately a final answer eludes us, preventing the comfort of certainty. Despite the provocative nature of the taped conversation Valentich had with Melbourne Flight Control prior to his disappearance that refers to a possible UFO presence, the affair still remains a mystery.

The Valentich mystery is punctuated with haunting, or rather more appropriately, taunting clues, that sets one off in all sorts of conflicting directions. Many have come up with all sorts of final solutions, that vary from the bizarre to the sublime. Did a UFO abduct Valentich? Did Valentich contrive the whole affair? Did he, as many think, crash into Bass Strait, leaving no trace? Or are other prosaic explanations involved?

A multitude of various lines of enquiry radiate out in all sorts of directions. Most take us away from the facts of the matter, namely that no trace of pilot or plane have yet been found. The mystery resonates in the Australian consciousness in a place reserved for more mythic episodes like the haunting fiction of "Picnic at Hanging Rock". It has inspired dramatic works like the profound and confronting play "Sky" and the bizarre and striking TV mini-series, "Locusts and Wild Honey". We must remind ourselves that a family waits for an answer that so far has never come. I hope that some day they will find that answer.

Sadly Guido Valentich s, Frederick s father, passed away recently. He maintained a regular annual vigil hoping for a sense of certainty about the fate of his son. I spoke to Steve Robey in 1999. He indicated to me that he still feels the disappearance of Frederick Valentich is a mystery. Robey told me, "I don't believe he was disorientated. I don't believe he faked it or committed suicide. He sounded under stress and sounded very genuine... He was definitely concerned about what he was looking at." He feels there is some sort of UFO connection and he feels that officials are keeping the UFO subject under wraps. "I lean towards a UFO connection." He shared with me his knowledge of other UFO sightings, including ones he became aware of in his flight controller role.

It is indeed frustrating that this mystery has not been resolved, particularly for the Valentich family. If someone out there has information that can assist in settling the mystery please come forward.

Bill Chalker
Terry W. Colvin, Sierra Vista, Arizona (USA)
Case ID: 24

Artist's impression of the Valentich encounter. (Michael Buhler)


Frederich Valentich went missing while flying his plane to King Island. Picture: Nicole Garmston 


The article underneath has been published in the daily newspaper Daily Colonist, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, page 4, on October 28, 1978.

Mystery 'UFO' case details soon - friend

MELBOURNE (UPI). -- The girlfriend of a pilot who vanished in his light plane after radioing he was being followed by a UFO says he is still alive but that details of his mysterious disappearance are "top secret".

"I know Fred is alive. We will see him soon," said 16-year-old Rhonda Rushton of Victoria.

She said she had met with transport department officials concerning the disappearance of Frederick Valentich, 20.

"We all know Fred is alive and we have told the authorities this, but it is still all top secret now," Ms. Rushton said. "I will not be saying any more about this."

A department spokesman said, "We assured her we would keep details of the interview confidential and we must abide by that condition."

Valentich was flying his single-engine Cessna 182 from Melbourne to King Island, 130 miles to the south, when he asked traffic controllers at 7 p.m. if there were any aircraft in his area flying below 5,000 feet.

When controllers told him there were no aircraft in the vicinity, Valentich said he was flying at 4,500 feet and could see an object with four bright lights.

Asked by the control tower if he could identify the aircraft, Valentich replied "It's not an aircraft. It's ..." then there was a break in transmission.

A department spokesman said there was a long metallic noise over the radio and contact with the aircraft was lost. One report described the noise as "like two empty beer cans being banged together." 



The article underneath has been published in the daily newspaper Daily Colonist, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, page 3, on October 25, 1978.

Aliens got him - dad

MELBOURNE, Australia (UPI). -- The father of a missing pilot whose last radio message reported a strange space vehicle with blinking lights hovering near his plane said Tuesday that creatures from another planet may have captured his son.

The Australian government renewed its search for the Cessna aircraft that disappeared Saturday night and news accounts of the incident touched off a flurry of UFO sightings in the state of Victoria.

"I have a very strong feeling that my son is still alive and is being held by someone from another world," Guido Valentich said at his Melbourne home.

"They may want to hold him for a week or so before returning him. I would rather that than them finding wreckage of the plane."

Valentich's son, 20-year-old Frederick, vanished over Bass Strait on a flight from Melbourne to King Island, 130 miles south.

In his last conversation with air traffic controllers in Melbourne, the younger Valentich said a large object with blinking green lights was "hovering over his plane" and appeared to be "playing games" with him.



The article underneath has been published in the daily newspaper Daily Colonist, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, page 19, on October 24, 1978.

"It's coming for me right now..."

MELBOURNE (AP). -- Australian officials are trying to determine whether an oil slick south of Melbourne came from a light plane that vanished after its pilot radioed that a large object hovering above him was not an aircraft.

Frederick Valentich, 20, was on a short solo flight from Melbourne to King Island across the Bass Strait when he disappeared Saturday.

Air traffic controllers said he radioed that he could see four bright lights about 300 metres above him that appeared to be the landing lights of a large aircraft. He asked whether any military aircraft were in the area and was told there were none.

Two minutes later, he radioed: "It is approaching from due east toward me. It seems to be playing some sort of game ... flying at a speed I cannot estimate."

A minute later he radioed: "It is not an aircraft. It's..." and radio contact was lost briefly.

He was asked to identify the object. "It is flying past. It is a long shape. I cannot identify more than that. It's coming for me right now," he said.

And then: "It seems to be stationary. I'm orbiting and the thing is orbiting on top of me also. It has a green light and a sort of metallic light on the outside."

A few minutes later he reported that his plane's engine was idling roughly and coughing. His last words before radio contact was lost permanently were: "It is not an aircraft."

Valentich's parents said they believe their son was seized by an unidentified flying object. They discounted a theory raised by some that in the dark he had accidentally turned the plane upside down or into a steep bank and saw the reflection of his own lights in the water.

An air force plane taking part in an air and sea search for Valentich sighted an oil slick in the strait Sunday. It was being analyzed to determine whether it contained aviation fuel.


Originally posted by tezzajw 15-2-2007 a member at ATS post ID 2956241

I was nearly seven years old when I remember the Valentich case making our local news.  I live in Melbourne, about two hours away from where Valentich was abducted.  I've been to Cape Otway Lighthouse and read the plaque that's posted in his honour.

There's nothing special about Bass Strait in terms of being a Bermuda Triangle.  I used to spend time at Apollo Bay (as a kid) at my Aunt's house overlooking the ocean from one of the hills driving into the main road.  My Uncle used to see lights over the ocean all of the time, but he couldn't be sure that they weren't from ships.  He never saw anything definitive that he would class as a UFO - just lights.

If I remember correctly (and I was just a kid...) I thought that they actually played the voice tape of Valentich's last transmission on the TV news.  I remember being chilled and thrilled by the report, it was so real.

Anyway, I'm a member of VUFORS (Victorian UFO Research Society).  At a meeting last year (I think it was June 2006), they were saying that an older bloke contacted them recently with a sighting earlier in the day that Valentich disappeared.  He still remembered it fresh in his mind nearly 28 years after the event.  He was driving his car in Melbourne's Eastern suburbs during the afternoon and saw a craft fly right over him, quickly and then gone.  He was roughly three hours drive from where Valentich was abducted.  They mentioned it at the meeting, as it was the first new piece of information that they had heard for a while on the Valentich case.  Possibly it was the same craft travelling over the wider area of Melbourne all day long?

As an aside to the story, I recently made friends with a bloke who worked with Guido (Valentich's Father).  Guido was a firm believer that his son was taken.  He knew that he would never see his son again and that he was not on this Earth.  His only hope was that he may see him again after he died.  Guido attended many meetings of VUFORS over the years until he died a few years ago.  I never met Guido, as I only recently started attending the VUFORS meetings after his passing.

The case is about as good as it gets with many independent witnesses and no crash wreckage ever to be found.  The transcript ended with metallic scraping sounds, I'm sure that I heard it as a kid!!!  Maybe it's because I have read the transcript so many times that I think that I have actually heard it???

If you want to read other articles about it, including some detailed investigations, then ask VUFORS for some of their back issues of The Australian UFO Bulletin.  Also, the Herald Sun Newspaper published an article in 2003 (or 2002?) on an attempt to lauch a new search of the area 25 years after the event.  I used to have the clipping pinned to my office wall, but it was lost by some morons when I had to move offices!!!

I hope that helps. 

Originally posted by tezzajw 15-2-2007 a member at ATS post ID 5285331

There were some rumours about Valentich being targetted on pupose, possibly linked to the NSCA.  He was planning on joining the RAAF.

The association with the East Sale RAAF base was a close one. In fact two senior RAAF officers sat on the board of the NSCA. East Sale is a secure RAAF base and is often used by NASA (U2 flights) and other unexplained U.S. aircraft. It is also the repository of secret U.F.O. information and was the base that Frederick Valentich attended for a special course relating to U.F.O.'s before he disappeared over Bass Strait on 21st October, 1978 while reporting a close encounter with a large U.F.O. So concerned was Valentich about what he had seen and been told at Sale that he emotionally told his parents shortly afterwards that "should they take me I should be O.K. so don't worry, they will probably put me back." (This was told to the writer by Guido Valentich, Frederick's father, in late October, 1978). 
That's taken from Fortress Australia
Valentich Disappearance: New Evidence and a New Conclusion
Journal of Scientific Exploration, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 19–33, 2000
© 2000 Society for Scientific Exploration  PDF

This paper presents new evidence regarding the disappearance of Frederick Valentich: the testimony of three witnesses is given, each of whom claim they saw an airplane descending downward at a steep angle with a much larger object with green lights flying just above it. A plot of the most probable flight path is also included (see below). Based on this new evidence (and the Official Voice Transcript Between Flight Service (FS) and the Cessna Aircraft (DSJ) ), the authors came to conclude that there appears to be sufficient evidence to suggest that Valentich’s airplane probably crashed into the sea SE of Cape Marengo between 3 and 12 miles offshore, and that the nature of the large object with green lights that accompanied the airplane during its steep descent remains to be identified - internos

According to his flight plan, Valentich planned to climb to at least 4,500 feet altitude for his water crossing (for safety and visibility reasons). We assume that he made this ascent well before reaching Apollo Bay. Several eyewitnesses observed his blue and white Cessna from the resort town of Apollo Bay as it flew SW over the water at an unspecified distance. Several local pilots have pointed out that it is normal procedure to “cut the corner” at the cape when flying to King Island (i.e., not to fly all the way to Point Franklin, Crayfish Bay, or the lighthouse itself before turning left for King Island. Valentich had flown this same route in the past, and presumably, he cut the corner on this flight as well. Doing so would shorten his trip by about 6 miles, saving both time and fuel. Indeed, Norman (1991) interviewed fishermen who had camped along the Parker River (south of Point Lewis) that night. They apparently saw the Cessna make this turn about 3 to 4 miles ENE of the Cape Otway lighthouse.

Enlarged scale chart of region from Apollo Bay to Cape Otway
Written by AYR ADMIN   Friday, 07 April 2006
Sunday Herald Sun, Edition 1 - FIRST
SUN 15 OCT 2000, Page 016

UFO mystery deepens

The Bass Strait disappearance of pilot Frederick Valentich was not the first of its kind, PAUL TAYLOR reports

DISTURBING parallels have been drawn between the disappearance of Frederick Valentich's plane in 1978 and two others in the 1930s. All three vanished in October, all while flying in ideal conditions over Bass Strait. The last radio calls from Mr Valentich, 20, and eerie photographs taken on the evening of his disappearance on October 21, 1978, have the air of an X-Files episode.

A four-engine plane with 12 people aboard went missing in October 1934 and another with five on board disappeared in October 1935. The most notorious aviation disappearance in Australia, that of Valentich and his Cessna 182, has defied all investigations. 

Dr Richard Haines, a former NASA research scientist, dismissed suggestions that Mr Valentich had arranged his death or become disoriented while the plane was upside down. Dr Haines said he believed Valentich did not say the unidentified craft was ``stationary'', as the transcript of Mr Valentich's conversation with the Melbourne control tower states, but instead that it was ``chasing me''. Mr Valentich radioed Tullamarine airport that there was a
``thing . . . just orbiting on top of me. It's got a green light and sort of metallic like, it's all shiny on the outside''.
Mr Valentich's last words were: ``. . . that strange aircraft is hovering on top of me again . . . it is hovering and it is not an aircraft''.

In a book released tomorrow, Melbourne writer John Pinkney reveals how he stumbled across the two remarkable precedents, and how descriptions of those cases echo reports of the Valentich case. Both happened long before the terms UFO (unidentified flying object) and ``flying saucer'' had become common.

On October 19, 1934, 12 people were aboard the Miss Hobart, one of the most powerful planes then flying in Australia, when it disappeared. Witnesses told of the drone of a plane's engines suddenly stopping and of strange lights and a peculiar cloud low over the sea. The following October, the Loina, an aircraft carrying two pilots and
three passengers, plummeted into the sea almost within gliding distance of the Flinders Island airfield.

In his book A Paranormal File, Pinkney says he was alerted to the earlier cases by a woman after a lecture in Melbourne. He had been lecturing on the subject of UFOs, and the Valentich mystery in particular, when an old woman came up to him as he was leaving. ``She asked: `Do you know about the passenger planes that vanished
over Bass Strait?','' he said. ``I didn't, and she said: `Go and look it up in The Herald library -- October 1934 and October 1935'.

``I went to The Herald the next day and saw what she meant. There, on the front pages of The Herald, the Sun News-Pictorial and The Age were headlines of events that pre-echoed the disappearance of Valentich four decades later.'' 

The key to advance the claims of UFO involvement in the disappearance of Mr Valentich and his Cessna was a series of six photographs taken by camera enthusiast Roy Manifold. Pinkney writes: ``Roy had set up an Olympus tripod camera and taken six photographs of the sunset over Bass Strait. ``The first three frames show a perfect spring sunset. On the fourth picture, a mountain of water erupts from behind a rock in the calm sea. ``In the fifth shot the ocean is flat calm again. And in the sixth photograph, a strange object can be seen streaking upward from the
ocean and into the sky, in a visible blur of speed.''

Soon after the disappearance, Pinkney took negatives to the chief photographer at The Australian newspaper, Mike Arthur. After ascertaining there was no fault in the negatives, no flaw in the emulsion and no hitch in the processing, Arthur said the object was real and had been in the sky over Bass Strait at sunset. The caption that accompanied the picture on page one of The Australian the next morning pondered whether this might have been the UFO that took Mr Valentich.

Pinkney then writes: ``The RAAF's response was swift. Without troubling himself to study the original photographs, a spokesman announced that the UFO we had reproduced was nothing more than a cumulus cloud in its dying stages.''
It did not take any time to knock over that finding. ``Roy Manifold had taken his photographs at roughly 20-second
intervals (an estimate borne out by the sun's position in the six frames),'' Pinkney writes. ``The `cloud' only appears in the sixth picture, nine degrees into frame. If, as appears, it is about 1.5km from the camera, this remarkable cloud must therefore have been travelling at 193kmh.''

The Manifold photographs were then subjected to assessment by physicists and aerospace engineers at the United States organisation Ground Saucer Watch. The critique, signed by director William Spaulding and photographic
consultant Fred Adrian, found the ``Bass Strait object was extremely bright when compared with other features in the photographs. Judging from the intensely reflective area at its `top', it was possibly metallic in construction''.

The scientists found the object was about 1.6km from the camera and was about six metres in diameter. The scientists concluded the image was a bona fide unidentified flying object of moderate dimensions, apparently surrounded by a cloud-like exhaust or vapor residue. 

On October 19, 1934, the new mail plane Miss Hobart, which was carrying 10 passengers from Launceston to Melbourne, disappeared over Bass Strait. The aircraft -- a DH86 with four Gipsy VI engines -- was one of the most powerful in Australia. The owners, Holyman's Airways, said that even had two of its engines failed, it could have
maintained height. Miss Hobart transmitted her final message at 10.20am, when she was 13km from Wilsons Promontory. Co-pilot Gilbert Jenkins radioed: ``Everything OK. Captain Holyman requests that Captain Haig of the Vacuum Oil Company meet him at Laverton at 11.30am.'' 

On October 2, 1935, a second airliner, the Loina, went missing over Bass Strait. With three passengers and two crew aboard, the plane had left Melbourne's Essendon airport for Launceston at 8.15am. At 9.51am the captain, A.N. Evans, radioed that his height was 1000 feet and that he was approaching Flinders Island.

The Herald summed up the situation in that afternoon's headline: `` `About to land' she radioed -- then silence.''
Later in the day, searchers found wreckage that mystified them. They retrieved three twisted chairs and a petrol tank so astonishingly telescoped it suggested the plane had nose-dived at a colossal rate. Particularly puzzling was a charred patch, about 10cm in diameter, found on a fragment of flooring. Shreds of carpet stuck to the fragment and grooved marks suggested someone had tried to stamp out an intensely localised fire. The rest of the aircraft and its human cargo were nowhere to be found.

`A Paranormal File', by John Pink ney (Five Mile Press, RRP $24.95). 

SOURCE: Australian Yowie Research

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS Post ID 5290723

In my opinion He saw an exceptionally long lasting sub duct green flash. ( rare atmospheric effect seen at sunrise or sunset). There were 18 mins of daylight left when he took off, this would put him in the correct time frame. Lots of people reported seing green lights  that same evening . Green flash looks like a  green tube or disc with bright lights inside it. Exactly what he reported. When it is observed from a plane. This separates entirely from the solar disc and looks just like a UFO.( See web photos). He first reports the object below him on the horizon, classical for a green flash. At this point, the young man gets excited and fixated on getting a better view of the object and forgets about flying the plane. He is trying to see an object that is dissapearing on the horizon so he is probably lifting one wing and increasing elevation , the object is now appearing to dissappear and reappear, this is because he is now flying in a circle.  And he is becoming disorientated. The plane is rough idling because he is starving the engine , His last report states object directly overhead, indicates he has or very nearly has flipped his plane. The gravity feed cuts out and he crashes. 

Odd Additional Info

Five years after, a real bizarre development:

One evening in August 1982 near the village of Iman, Primorskiy kray, Far East, Russia Lieutenant Colonel Igor Valerianovich Kazantsev, Commander of a frontier guard detachment near the hamlet of Iman, received a report of a suspicious man arrested by soldiers from his unit near the Soviet-Chinese border. One of the soldiers, Nikolay D (later to become a resident of Sevastopol, Crimea) in 2003 wrote to the Simferopol based “Secret Doctrine” Newspaper, confirming that he took over the watch on that date to watch over the Russian-Chinese border.

Approaching evening near the foot of one of the hills they saw smoke from a fire and soon detained a man about 40-years of age, dressed in a cowboy shirt, thick wide trousers, outfitted with “complete tourist gear”. The man assured the KGB sergeant that he had the necessary permission from local authorities of Primorskiy kray to do some prospecting in the area. Orders were given to detain the mysterious “geologist”. He was taken to the unit duty officer. During a search the soldiers found a very powerful searchlight and a strange dark elongated object, like a small flask with two dozen dots printed on its upper section without any visible pattern. The dots formed a strange image. Nikolay D paid special attention to the strange dot-like markings on the object.

The stranger showed a document indicating that his name was Sarychev (possibly an AKA, real name being possibly V. Sosnin). He also showed a letter from Academician Vsevolod S Troitskiy, correspondent-member of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR, Chairman of the Commission for Study of Anomalous Phenomena. (Such a commission did truly exist). The man stated that he was engaged in prospecting in the area, but soon admitted under the pressure of interrogation the he was indeed involved in “UFO research”.

The strange black flask or capsule attracted everyone’s attention. The man stated that he found the capsule at an altitude of 1204 (m over sea level). Inside the capsule a plate rolled like a tube was found. When the KGB officer extracted the plate, it immediately straightened up emitting a slight rustling sound. The plate had an English text, written with a substance bright orange in color. The text was later translated to Russian and following is an approximate translation:

“I am Frederick Valentich, Junior, pilot. I was captured together with my plane Cessna-182 by a UFO on October 21 1978 145 miles south of Melbourne. Because of very limited time and of extreme danger to my state, here is what is most important.

What was proposed to me was beyond my imagination. Later I came to the conclusion that several factors influenced my psyche, at first, the reality of the UFOs and their pilots, and secondly, their proposal for me to become the pilot of one of their aircraft (!).

Here is proof of contact with another civilization and the man who achieved this is I, Frederick Valentich. That was what I thought. But the most tempting was their fantastic proposal for me to stay in my same physical body, so I have not aged over my current 25 years of age (my age when I signed such a “contract” with the aliens). This proposal “eclipsed everything” even those few purely human affections I’ve had. At the moment of the deal I remembered only that my mother had died, I am single with no children. I didn’t even remember my aunt and two of my ex girlfriends I have been close with, this is additional evidence of a strong psychological influence put upon me.

The giant UFO I have to work in is a “cargo ship”. The crew, except those humans which were captured just like me, are 2-3 aliens. All belong to a civilization located in the Pleiades constellation and represent an interplanetary organization with 6 civilizations from Orion, Swan and the Big Dog constellation; our Solar system is also part of it.

Like us they’re also albumen organic entities, breathing oxygen and of similar body build.

Answering such questions like, what are they doing here, they stated on numerous occasions that they were engaged in research work. But according to my own observations that is only a mere screen covering their “real” activities and to calm the conscience of other earthlings who signed such compelling contacts like mine.

Our basic load from Earth---is liquid oxygen obtained from plants installed onboard the ship. These “researchers” impudently steal the most valuable part of Earthly atmosphere. And idiots like me are actively helping them in this. The main route of our craft—Earth and Jupiter’s satellite Callisto where a huge constantly operating base is located.

Oxygen is loaded into balloons made of plastic-metal. Volume can be estimated in weight---the large balloon weighs no less than 110 pounds, the smaller ones—2 times less than that. The maximum quantity of balloons that our ship has taken for one flight to Callisto is more than 12,000 large and 5k small balloons. Imagine how much oxygen they take from Earth! We make 2 flights per week sometimes. God help me and those who find this letter! Russian or Chinese---I ask to give this capsule to the Australian embassy and to the representatives of our embassy, give it to scientists for further study!!!”

To establish the authenticity of this material evidence, it was sent to several scientific research laboratories of the USSR for secret analyses. Results of the research exceeded all expectations. Documents with the results of the study were compiled, stamped and signed by the expert laboratory of KGB USSR, document dated September 29 1982. Institute of Astronomy of USSR dated October 10 1982. Institute of the Technical Physics USSR, Chelyabinsk-40 (nuclear military industrial center), and dated November 12 1982, all the documents were classified TOP SECRET.

Here is the opinion of a member-correspondent of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR Dr. Nechai PhD, addressed to the special expert commission in the Presidium of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR. “The amazing physical and mechanical characteristics of the materials, their uncommon chemical compound and structure allow to make the following conclusions:

  • …materials obtained by the technologies, unknown yet to humankind and apparently outside the Earth. The plate is the source of unknown radioactive emanation of colossal penetrating ability and spoils all other types of cinema and photo films…
  • Many other facts, described by Valentich were summoned to the systematic analyses according to modernized authorship-detection program created in our institute. The result, the author, Frederick Valentich couldn’t invent all of that alone and even to extract that from known science fiction literature, actually being taken onboard a UFO in 1978…”
What happened to the material evidence next is the following. The mysterious plate was transferred to the Australian embassy. A special commission was created there; a graphic, logical study was made. Style and grammar of the letter was compared with other material written by Valentich, obtained from the Melbourne Air Club (like flight records written by Valentich). The Australian commission came to the conclusion that the text on the plate and the records in the flight journal from the Melbourne aviation club belonged to one and the same person---none other than Frederick Valentich. The evidence was so strong that it was ready to go to court.

Unfortunately for humanity the cover up was effective and everything was classified TOP SECRET, possibly with the participation of the American CIA. Where the alien capsule with the letter is now, is not known, possibly in the USA (in a deep basement under the Pentagon?).

Perhaps even more alarming is a case investigated by Spanish researcher Manuel Carballal. According to the testimony of a number of witnesses, a young man who identified himself as Frederick Valentich, the Australian pilot who mysteriously disappeared in 1978 was alive and well in 1990 at Plaza del Charco, a seaport square on the island of Tenerife in the Canary Islands. Displaying an Australian passport to prove his claim, Valentich told those with whom he spoke on several occasions that he now belonged to a group of humans who had been “recruited” by extraterrestrials. It is also worth noting that the supposed Valentich showed no signs of aging, and resembled the photos circulated around the time of his disappearance at the age of 20.

HC addendum


  • Yuriy Belikov quoting Emil F Bachurin in “Komsomolskaya Pravda” - Moscow January 17 1998
  • “Oxygen from Earth taken to Callisto?” in “Interesnaya Gazeta” Kiev D+ issue # 5 2004
  • Valentin Psalomszikov PhD “NLO” Saint Petersburg # 21 May 21 2001
  • Letter from Nikolay D “Frederick Valentich---UFO Pilot?” in “The Secret Doctrine”
  • Simferopol # 1 2003
  • Iskander Trano “Interesnaya Gazeta” D+ block Kiev # 19 2005
  • Crimean Time # 14 January 24 1998
  • Lawrence McBridge Australian Editor of UFO Update # 3 summer 79 Type: G
  • Scott Corrales, “Human-like Ufonauts reported in many countries” Mufon Journal #405, January 2002.

Comments: Perhaps the most famous of the “permanent abductions”. The latter part of the story is indeed complicated and hard to swallow but who knows where many of those who “disappear” go? What if anything are visiting aliens taking from Earth?

Our thanks to Albert Rosales, Humanoid Sighting Reports for this update


You may use this content as long as you comply with our Creative Commons Deed by properly sourcing the author as owner, source the website as co-owner, do not create a derivative work, and do not use it for commerical purposes.
FAIR USE NOTICE: This page contains copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. Pegasus Research Consortium distributes this material without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in 17 U.S.C § 107. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
~ MENU ~


Webpages  © 2001-2015
Blue Knight Production